You are watching: How to keep fleas and ticks off dogs
Fleas and ticks are much more than simply annoying pests — lock can reason real health difficulties for her pets. But withsome an easy steps, friend can aid protect her furry friends from these parasites and also prevent any kind of discomfort. Below are the top seven means to do it.
1. Treat because that fleas and ticks year-round. when it"s true that fleas and ticks are an ext common in the summer months (they prosper in temperatures in between 65 and also 80 degrees), some can likewise survive indoors during the winter — even in cold climates. Because that this reason, plenty of veterinarians recommend year-round preventive steps to safeguard pets. There space many products from i m sorry to select — examine with her vet because that the finest one to accomplish your pet"s separation, personal, instance needs.Make sure you read and also carefully follow your veterinarian’s instructions for how and when to use the product. This is the best way to guarantee that it will effectively protect your pet.
2. Execute not use old precautionary products. If you"ve been hanging ~ above old flea or tick products, it is more than likely time to profession them in because that something new. Old products, specifically ones past their expiration date, have the right to lose effectiveness. And you constantly want to examine with her vet about new brands or assets in the marketplace that might work better than what you"ve traditionally been using.
3. Execute not use a canine product on cats.Some flea and tick preventives that space formulated for dogs save on computer an ingredient the is toxicity to cats. It have the right to cause very severe reactions in cats, i beg your pardon require immediate veterinary care. The product label will plainly indicate the varieties for i m sorry it has been approved. Be sure to use assets only together intended.
4. Do continual tick checks. If you and also your pets have been in an area that could have ticks, be certain to carry out a tick inspect once you"re indoors, inspectingyour pet’s skin, ears and armpits because that ticks. Deer ticks, because that example, need to bite your pet and be enclosed for about 24 hours in order come transmit the pathogen that causes Lyme disease, therefore the best means to stop transmission is finding and getting to escape of any kind of ticks as soon as possible. And also though no every tick bite transmits a disease, it"s a good idea to alert her veterinarian that your pet has actually been bitten. You"ll alsowant come monitor her pet’s behavior for any type of changes, such together lethargy, limping or lose of appetite.
5. Groom your pet regularly. grooming is a great way come spend top quality time through your pet. It additionally helps you save an eye the end for any kind of external helminth that may be hiding under your pet’s haircoat.
6. Clean up her yard. in addition to keeping a well-maintained house, be certain to clean up your yard, too. Mow your lawn regularly, as ticks have tendency to like high grasses. Fleas favor warm, moist, shady areas with essential debris. Raking leaves, brush and also clippings from your yard will provide fleas fewer locations to hide and breed.
7. Get consistent checkups. One important thing her veterinarian does during your pet’s regimen checkup is research him for any type of signs of parasite troubles to assist ensure the the preventive product you are using is functioning effectively. However, friend should call your veterinarian ideal away if you have actually questions at any kind of time about the product.
Conditions brought about By Fleas and Ticks
Fleas and ticks can cause a variety of health difficulties in pets. Maintaining your pet flea- and also tick-free not only makes the comfortable, but it additionally helps him remain healthy, by avoiding these problems:
Lyme disease is one of the biggest tick-transmitted dangers in details areas of the country and can reason swollen joints, lameness, negative appetite and also fever in pets.Rocky mountain spotted heat is a serious infection that can reason fever, lessened appetite and also painful joints and muscles in pets. Regardless of its name, Rocky hill spotted fever can be sent by infected ticks in other areas of the country.
Ehrlichiosis can be a mild or major infection. Her pet might experience depression, appetite loss, a high fever, or bleeding problems. An ext on lasignoralaura.com:
READ MORE:Cats, Dogs, Flea Prevention, tick Prevention, veterinary Reviewed, Flea and also Tick Prevention, Parasite Prevention
The ideal Fruits and Veggies for Dogs
Want to offer your pup yummy, low-calorie treats? We’ve got the slim on which foods items are yes to feed him.
5 methods to care for your Pet's Teeth
With these basic dental care tips, you can assist keep her canine’s adorable smile shiny and healthy because that life.
You'll Love This Curly-Coated Kitty
The friendly and inquisitive LaPerm has actually an easy-care coat the comes in a range of colors and also patterns.
Watch the recent lasignoralaura.com Videos
Check out our repertoire of more than 250 videos around pet training, pet behavior, dog and cat breeds and more.
See more: How To Get Ransomware Off My Computer, Ransomware Attack
Take Our each other Finder Quiz
Wonder i beg your pardon dog or cat best fits your lifestyle? Our new tool will narrow down much more than 300 breeds for you.