For those fans brand-new to NASCAR and also wondering i m sorry driver they have to root for, we"ve developed a handy guide to help you out.
You are watching: How to pick a nascar driver
Share all sharing alternatives for: 2011 NASCAR Rootability Rankings (Or exactly how To choose Your Favorite Driver)
There"s nothing gyeongju fans claim to hate much more than gift force-fed "favorite drivers" by the media. And if that"s true, those human being will really despise this story.
But if you already have a favorite, friend won"t need this helpful guide: Our an initial ever NASCAR Driver Rootability Rankings. This is for the world who aren"t quite sure that to traction for, favor your buddy down the street that is just acquiring into NASCAR.
And prior to you jump up and also down in protest...YES, it"s totally unscientific, opinion-based and also biased. Someone in the media is providing you advice on who to root for. That is just awful, isn"t it?
Even worse, there to be absolutely no formula used to come up through the rankings – though the following determinants were considered:
Relevance: If the driver in question has actually little-to-no possibility of winning each week (or even running close to the front), there"s no much allude in rooting for him. Why would you execute that to yourself? Underdogs room one thing, but self-torture is completely another.
Affability: Is the male a good dude, the type of guy you"d prefer to have a beer with? Or is this person going to crush her hopes and dreams by being an asshole as soon as you satisfy him in person?
Age: Recommending a driver to source for favors those who have countless years left in your careers. Since if you"re going to invest your passion in a driver, why not pull because that a man who"s going come be about for awhile?
Let"s obtain started on the rankings. Here"s a perform of the optimal 35 motorists to begin rooting for as a *new* fan:
1. CARL EDWARDS: Look, nobody"s perfect – and also Edwards definitely has his faults (like practically eliminating Brad Keselowski from the planet). Yet as much as the complete likability package, Edwards comes closest. He"s constantly done a backflip after the wins, and now he even goes into the means a huge ol" group hug.
While the whole Keselowski point is absolutely a black note on his likability – and also Edwards has actually been accused of being a phony – the driver is most frequently a genuinely decent person.
It"s challenging to sift through what"s real and also what"s a public relations stunt these days, however Edwards does many things away from the cameras (like giving every one of his gyeongju trophies away) that make him really easy human being to root for.
2. JOEY LOGANO: Everything is still relatively new and fresh for the 20-year-old Logano, therefore he"s more than willing to carry out fan-friendly activities, command interviews and also generally act prefer a typical person.
He"s quick to laugh and smile, appearing as if he"s actually having fun (an all-too-rare ide in the NASCAR garage these days). But at the very same time, he"s beginning to wake up for himself after on-track events – and also that"s a good thing.
3. JAMIE MCMURRAY: Who doesn"t prefer McMurray? There"s yes, really nothing negative to say about him, except he"s never made the Chase. If you"re into the sensitive, prayerful kind who stays out that controversy, McMurray is for you. Plus, he actually wins now.
4. CLINT BOWYER: There isn"t a totality lot that fluff through Bowyer. He"s just a an easy guy from Kansas who likes come race and also have a an excellent time, and that"s yes, really the degree of it. The significant thing around Bowyer is as soon as he"s "on," he"s extremely personable.
5. DENNY HAMLIN: Here"s a male who wins races and speaks his mind – 2 traits fans often say lock like. Top top the other hand, he has actually plenty of detractors who say he speaks his mind as well much. Therefore if you don"t mind a vocal, opinionated driver, Hamlin could be your man.
6. GREG BIFFLE: For part reason, Biffle doesn"t have actually that countless fans in to compare to other top drivers. It"s rather puzzling. He wins a pair races every year, makes the Chase and says amazing things while preventing controversy. On top of every that, he"s not a jerk. Where"s the love for The Biff?
7. BRAD KESELOWSKI: Though the drives as well aggressively at times and therefore pisses off plenty of other motorists – and therefore, the fans of many other vehicle drivers – Keselowski is a remarkable personality who is only going to become more relevant as the years go on. He"s quite likable, yet fans attract Brad K. Merchandise need to have actually thick skin to placed up with the dirty looks and also glares indigenous the pan of whichever driver got into it through Keselowski last week.
8. AJ ALLMENDINGER: Ding-dong – the Allmendinger bandwagon is here, and there"s quiet plenty that room. "Dinger seems to both live his life and race like among those bouncy rubber balls: He"s excitable and also energetic, however occasionally everywhere the place. The guy has talent, though, and the slimmed-down Richard small Motorsports might set the stage for his breakout year.
9. JEFF GORDON: There"s one big problem with Gordon – his history. Because of the means he came into the sports as a clean-cut California kid who piled up gyeongju wins and championships, Gordon was loudly booed for virtually his entire career. But as a veteran who hasn"t won lot lately, Gordon has actually taken on an virtually underdog quality. Plus, he"s as nice the a person as you"ll discover anywhere – in racing or in life.
10. KASEY KAHNE: Great driver, pretty guy. And if you"re female, there"s no factor not to prefer him. But what if you"re a dude that works at a building and construction site? can you yes, really walk approximately with a Kasey Kahne T-shirt? Somehow, his huge female pan base appears to border his appeal come men.
11. MARCOS AMBROSE: Damn, if this guy might just victory a few races. With infectious enthusiasm for NASCAR and a laugh that never ever seems come wane, Ambrose might be one of the easiest vehicle drivers to root because that in years. There"s just one problem: The Aussie"s outcomes are regularly Down Under the height 20 – except on roadway courses, whereby he"s clearly the best.
12. DAVID RAGAN: Poor David. A pair years ago it looked like he to be going to be a breakout star, and then he fell off the map. Still, he remains unfailingly polite and ultra-courteous – plus, there"s a possibility he"ll be competitive again as lengthy as he stays at Roush Fenway Racing. If you desire a friendly southerly boy to source for, Ragan is her guy.
13. BRIAN VICKERS: If you like comeback stories, this one"s for you. Vickers virtually died critical year after blood coagulation were found in his leg and lungs, then had surgery to fix a feet in his heart. After sit out many of the season, he"s earlier in 2011 and ready to race again. In enhancement to his compelling story, though, he"s both fan-friendly and capable of make the Chase.
14. Boy name TRUEX JR.: The Michael Waltrip gyeongju driver only has actually one career win in five full seasons, for this reason you could not get to watch him drive to success Lane an extremely often. However he"s a friendly and also likable personality, so if you have the right to overlook the absence of performance, he can be worth supporting.
15. KYLE BUSCH: I"m confident the vast majority of NASCAR fans would have actually Busch ranked last on this list. The is important reviled by plenty of people because of his sick loser, spoiled brat image. Yet the guy wins – a lot. And when he"s in a great mood, there"s something delightfully anti-establishment about his words and actions. Therefore if you desire to go versus the crowd and pick a male who"s daunting to love, there"s no one better than Busch.
16. TREVOR BAYNE: If you want to be among the an initial to pull for this promise rookie, you can reap the rewards under the line. There"s few things an ext satisfying 보다 rooting for a team or athlete prior to they"ve achieved anything that note, then tag along for the ride come the top. Bayne is a polite young male with a load of potential (and is vocal around his religion, because that those of you that are into that). He"ll drive a partial Cup schedule this season.
17. DAVID REUTIMANN: This is a strange case – Reutimann is 40 years old, but still in the early component of his Cup job (he gained a late start). Complete of self-deprecating humor and also having battled hard to with NASCAR"s top level, Reutimann comes across as the ultimate underdog. The only concern is there"s no guarantee he"ll ever topple the sport"s enlarge names, and the clock is ticking.
18. JEFF BURTON: There"s nothing wrong through being a Jeff Burton fan. He"s a future politician and a media favorite who constantly offers remarkable perspective on the sport through his long, thorough answers. However though Burton is capable of to win races and making the chase (as that did critical year), the veteran is 43 year old and also probably only has a few years left.
19. RYAN NEWMAN: Do you have a sarcastic feeling of humor? If so, you"ll certainly identify through Newman. Though the "Rocket Man" let go the follow last year, the did victory a race. Overall, though, Newman can be a bit dry.
20. MATT KENSETH: Just here to race. Very same as last week. Same as next week. Girlfriend can"t get excited around Kenseth, due to the fact that he"s no exciting. He"s about as neutral together they come. He does win sometimes though, for this reason that"s exciting. Ns guess.
21. DALE EARNHARDT JR.: Dude, everyone roots for Dale Jr. Already. He"s a great guy, yet do you yes, really think he demands any much more fans? This is your pick if you want to monitor the crowd and join the masses.
22. TONY STEWART: As v Busch, you should be willing to overlook particular negatives to be a Tony Stewart fan. In Stewart"s case: 1) He deserve to be a jerk; 2) He could not authorize your autograph; 3) He have the right to be a jerk. Yet when that feels favor it, that can also be one of the most engaging, personable drivers in NASCAR. And his peers to speak he"s the many talented. It"s as much as you whether you have the right to overlook the poor parts.
23. KEVIN HARVICK: The man well-known as "Happy" have the right to be very an overwhelming to choose or really easy to like depending upon how he"s running, so the was tough to number out whereby to placed him on this list. The ideal answer is if you"re a tough person wanting to root for a scrappy driver who have the right to win gyeongju – regardless of being together cuddly as a cactus at times – the prickly Harvick is for you.
24. ROBBY GORDON: This is the ultimate against-the-grain pick. Through an independent team and an elevation mind, the outspoken driver/owner is about as various as lock come. In a vanilla garage, Gordon has always been rocky road. However his job of being competitive space seemingly behind him, so rooting for him is a hard sell.
25. REGAN SMITH: Nice guy, yet doesn"t run up front enough.
26. CASEY MEARS: Nice guy, however doesn"t operation up former enough.
27. DAVID GILLILAND: Nice guy, yet doesn"t operation up front enough.
28. TRAVIS KVAPIL: Nice guy, yet doesn"t operation up front enough.
29. BOBBY LABONTE: Former Cup champ in ~ tail finish of his career has looked disinterested in current years, but new ride in ~ JTG Daugherty Racing has a possibility to restore his enthusiasm.
30. Mark MARTIN: Martin, one of the classiest and most beloved chauffeurs in NASCAR, is only near the bottom that this perform for one reason: This could be his last full time season. Therefore if you"re going to invest her fan enthusiasm in a driver, shot someone who will be roughly a tiny longer.
31. Kurt BUSCH: Few see the genuine Kurt Busch, or also know that he is. Publicly, there"s the cut who shows up in interviews through the tight, compelled smile and also speak-in-circles answers. Then there"s the Kurt that is a hard-edged, win racer yet displays a frightening volume of fury on the team radio. We desire to choose him, yet both Kurts are hard to embrace – and also we have small indication what he"s really like.
32. PAUL MENARD: It"s no just since Menard"s Cup ride exists as result of his billionaire family"s money – his quiet personality and also lack that on-track success also contribute come this low ranking.
33. Bill ELLIOTT: With a partial schedule in one uncompetitive car, this 16-time winner that the Most popular Driver award has actually long been a non-factor. The 55-year-old last videotaped a top-10 end up in 2004.
34. JUAN PABLO MONTOYA: He doesn"t treatment whether you like him or not, and thus does little that is likable. His most common response to any type of questions seems to be a shrug of the shoulders and an "I don"t care." due to the fact that of that, us don"t care, either.
See more: As A Man, How To Make Yourself Need To Pee Really Bad, Why Do I Pee So Often
35. JIMMIE JOHNSON: Disclaimer – Johnson is among the nicest human being in NASCAR; he"s friendly, funny and also extremely under to Earth. But starting to root for Johnson currently would do you the ultimate bandwagon fan. The guy has actually just won 5 straight championships. That doesn"t require your help, nor do the true Johnson fans need a frontrunner in your ranks.