21 ways to to speak Hello and also Goodbye in American English
post by Lindsay McMahon ~ above Wed, january 23, 2013
You are watching: How to say hi in america
I was completely impressed through her English. I could hardly tell she was a non-native English speaker!
I called her exactly how well she spoke and also she thanked me, however she said that even though she spoke great "textbook" English, as soon as she involved the U.S. Indigenous Japan, she struggled every day v casual greetings.
One day, someone claimed to her, "Have a an excellent one!" and also she had actually no idea that they to be saying goodbye!
Are you struggling through greetings also? In today"s video lesson, I will certainly teach girlfriend 21 methods to say "hello" and "goodbye" in American English. Clock the video below to gain started!
21 means to say "hello" and also "goodbye" in American English
12 methods to say "hello"
2) "What"s walking on?" : This is casual and could it is in used between friends or acquaintances in casual situation like a party.
3) "Hey! What"s up?" : This is casual and could it is in used in between friends, colleagues, siblings, etc.
4) "Good morning" or "good afternoon" : these greetings space generally an ext formal and also are regularly used in restaurants, hotels, shops or at work in between colleagues.
5) "How room you act today?" : This is formal and also might be used between a professional and also a client or customer or between colleagues or a boss and also his or she workers.
6) "Hey! there she is" : This is usually supplied in cases when you know the person well and also it suggests that you have been expecting to watch the human being or that you are very happy to see the person. Emphasis with together is inserted on "there."
7) "How"s everything?" : This is merely another method of saying "how are you." it is usually used casually.
8) "How space things?" : This is very similar to "how is everything?" and is perhaps more casual than "how is everything?"
9) "Good to see you," "great to see you," "nice to watch you" : These can all be used informally or casually in between business colleagues, friends, or family members. These phrases are often used once you haven"t seen the human in a while.
10) "What"s happening" or "What"s happenin"?" : This is mainly used by young human being (college age or younger). They can use the phrase to greet your friends once they come at a party or as soon as they see each various other in class.
11) "How"s it going?" : This is casual, particularly when girlfriend shorten it as in "How"s that goin"?"
12) "Good evening": This is formal and also is often used in upscale (expensive) hotels or restaurants to greet guests.
9 means to speak "goodbye"
2) "See girlfriend soon" or "see ya soon" : This is similar to the example above. It have the right to be offered to indicate that you want to or arrangement to fulfill with the human being again soon.
3) "Take care" : This might be officially or casual, but is usually provided with civilization you know or care about. You might use this in an e-mail or composed letter.
4) "Take the easy" : This is not offered now, in 2013, as lot as the was provided in the 1980"s and 1990"s. However, that is casual and way "take care."
5) "Gotta go!" This is provided in casual instances when you want to escape the conversation quickly and you don"t desire to go through a longer or more sentimental goodbye.
6) "Talk come you soon" : This is used more often in writing emails or on the phone than in daily spoken interactions. That is usually casual.
7) "See you following time" : This is used when you understand you will certainly be returning to a certain place and you will see the human being when you come back.
8) "Catch ya later" : This is used very casually between friends or acquaintances.
9) "Have a good one" : This means, "have a nice day" and is provided casually, yet it can be used between strangers, friends, colleages, or family members members.
Remember, in English over there is more than one way to "hi" and "goodbye" !
So now that you know 21 alternatives, shot to use them as much as friend can.
See more: I Am Hispanic And I Vote For Mr Trump, 'I Am Hispanic, And I Vote For Mr
If you desire to make them a part of her vocabulary, try to additionally listen because that them in your day-to-day life.
By hearing them often, friend will recognize when and how to slip them right into a conversation.