You are watching: How to store food without electricity
Don’t fret! No matter where girlfriend live, over there are means to store your food cold there is no electricity. Want to save this post for later? Click here to pin It top top Pinterest!
What Temperature go Food need to Be Kept?Storing food without electricity requires knowledge what temperature food should be stored. When foods are stored at improper temperatures, especially perishables, it permits the growth and spread that bacteria. If friend eat food that’s been held at too-high temperatures, you rise the risk of contracting a food-borne illness.
Foods That need to Be Stored in ~ 40℉ and also BelowFoods that call for refrigeration have to be maintained at temperature at or listed below 40℉ for ideal food safety. Instances of foods that need to be stored at these temperatures include:MeatPoultrySeafoodDairy ProductsCooked FoodsEggs – not farm fresh eggsOpened Condiments and Sauces
Foods to store at Room TemperatureYou deserve to store plenty of foodstuffs without the use of refrigeration in ~ all. Examples of foods items that you don’t need to keep cold include:HoneyOilsCanned Food, UnopenedBreadDried Beans, Rice, PastaCoffeeButterTomatoesBananasPotatoesWinter Squash
9 methods to save Food Cold without ElectricityHere space the most valuable ways to store food cold if the strength grid fails.
1. Wrap your FoodIf girlfriend only must keep her food cold for a short period, one of the simplest methods is to wrap the food in a big piece that fabric. The fabric needs to be retained wet with cold water consistently, and then save the fabric-wrapped food in a shady, cool place.
This won’t occupational for long, yet it keeps food cold because that a short time framework if friend went camping there is no a cooler. Friend only have the right to store as much food as your cloth fits, and everything demands to be in waterproof containers.
2. Use a Zeer PotOne the the most amazing ways to keep your food cold without electrical energy is to do a Zeer pot, a primitive yet effective cooler because that food. Numerous regions that the people still use Zeer pots; that a beloved an approach that some usage to do ice! But what is a Zeer pot?
It’s 2 unglazed clay pots – one bigger than the various other – v the small pot within of the larger one. You have to fill the an are between the two pots with sand. You put your food inside of the tiny pot and pour water right into the sand. You have to use unglazed pots because it allows the water come soak through, make the clay wet. The water ~ above the surface ar of the exterior pot evaporates, cooling the sand and also the inner pot. Make certain to covering the pots with a wet cloth to aid increase evaporation. Here’s how to make a Zeer pot.
3. Make an Evaporative RefrigeratorEvaporation is a natural procedure that cools water, for this reason tap right into that to store your food cold. One an approach is to make an evaporative refrigerator the keeps food in a place surrounded by evaporating water. Foodstuffs kept top top the shelves will be cool, but you need to remember to include water.If you do an evaporative refrigerator, it’s ideal to keep it somewhere the it gets hit with a breeze. A breeze rises the quantity of wait flowing end the wet fabric, increasing evaporation. This an approach works best in a dry climate; high humidity regions minimize the amount of evaporation.
Take a look at instructions through Chelsea eco-friendly on how to make an evaporative cooling box.
4. Keep Food UndergroundBefore refrigerators and iceboxes, world learned that it was cooler underground. You most likely realize that too if you have a basement; basements are always colder 보다 upstairs. Human being used caves at first, but since those aren’t easily accessible everywhere, the idea evolved into a root cellar. Root cellars were typical a century or two ago; human being created secret rooms to keep root vegetables prefer potatoes and carrots. Houses built prior to the 1960s could have cellars in the basement; my houses have constantly had cellars. These room cold rooms with doors that world used to store food. You deserve to make a source cellar at home! right here are direction to build a root cellar from one old fridge or freezer.
5. Usage a Cool present NearbyDo you have a cool currently running close to your home? It can be too chilly to take it a dip, however streams space perfect for keeping food cool. The a trick that campers use, yet preppers should recognize as well.
Running groundwater remains cool as result of evaporation; running water is always cooler than standing water. Water movement exposes an ext of it come the air, enhancing evaporation. So, a puddle no going to save your food cold without electricity, but a tiny creek or stream will.
6. Build a spring or fine HouseCenturies ago, human being built tiny buildings end springs or wells. These are unique structures that space noticeably cooler 보다 outside, even in the summer. Water from natural springs is lot colder, and you preserved food in pottery inside the spring houses. The cold indigenous the feather water keeps the food cold there is no electricity. The problem with structure a spring or well house is the it’s significant construction and also a lot of work. It’s going to cost money to develop a feather house, however it lasts for years. Some well-built spring dwellings survive because that well over a century. Here are instructions to aid you build a feather house on her property.
7. Make an ice cream BoxIceboxes aren’t together old together you could think; they were usual in the 1940s and also 1950s. This was typical right before the invention of the refrigerator. Lock were preserved in the kitchen and also used to store food cool.
See more: How To Save Voicemails From Android To Pc, How To Download And Save Important Voicemails
To have actually an icebox, you need to have actually ice. Decades ago, an iceman yielded ice come your residence from a warehouse. Ice was harvest from lakes and stored making use of straw and also sawdust. Then, you’d placed the ice into your icebox and keep her food cold. You could use the very same idea, yet an ice home needs come be constructed underground to store ice cold.
Watch how to construct an ice crate for your preps.
8. Make an ice HouseSo, if you desire to use an ice cream box, you need an ample it is provided of ice, and also the best way to carry out that is to make an ice house. To make this work, you require a space underground perfect for storing large pieces that ice. The room needs to be insulated sufficient to keep food cold.The best method is come go as deep underground as possible. Act this keeps the warm out; the surrounding planet keeps cold temperatures locked inside. Then, you need to gather big ice fragments, which isn’t as straightforward as it sounds. If friend don’t have actually a frozen lake, you’ll should make these you yourself or bespeak them. Line the room with the ice blocks and use sawdust or straw to keep the room as insulated together possible. Take a look in ~ how to build an ice house on Mother earth News.
9. Do a coal or Charcoal CoolerThe idea behind a charcoal or coal cooler is similar to a Zeer pot due to the fact that it supplies evaporation to save the internal temperature cool sufficient to refrigerate food. You make a charcoal cooler by creating an open up timber frame and also filling the sides through charcoal preserved continually moist. Together dry wait flows v the wet charcoal, the water starts to evaporate, keeping the within of the frame cool.
Take a look at at how My homestead Life produced a charcoal cooler to keep food cold without electricity.
Keep your Food ColdKeeping food cold without electrical energy is tricky. You have to keep your food at a continual temperature to avoid the spread of bacteria. These nine methods will save your food cool, however make sure you have actually a thermometer to monitor proper food safety temperature.
Like this post? nothing Forget to pen It ~ above Pinterest!You may additionally like:The Beginner’s guide To Emergency Food Storage11 advice To Avoid heat Stroke as soon as Your AC walk Down9 Easy actions to make Your very own Charcoal6 ways to keep Your Food Cold there is no Electricity7 different Ways To maintain Food