If you want to be able to enjoy photographing the solar eclipse without fumbling v your phone and cursing your procrastination, girlfriend should plan ahead. There room a few things you should track under ahead that time, and also a little bit of practice will walk a lengthy way, too.
You are watching: How to take picture of solar eclipse with phone
Astrophotographers — the professionals and also enthusiasts v their large cameras hooked as much as telescopes — will probably tell united state it’s a stupid errand to effort to obtain a high-quality photograph with anything less than a thousand dollars’ precious of equipment. Yet it is possible to obtain a decent and also memorable photograph with every little thing you have actually in your ago pocket — iPhone, Android or otherwise.
Just nothing let the desire to get that perfect Instagram shot odor you from the once-in-a-lifetime occasion itself.
Stuff friend need
A smartphone tripod — The slightest little of motion, even a rogue sneeze, can ruin one otherwise perfect photo. You’re walk to want to put your phone on a tripod so friend can collection the timer and back away. (Photo hack: use a bag that sand or a beanbag come prop up her phone. Every little thing keeps the phone call pointed in the right direction there is no the aid of a hand will certainly work.)
A telephoto lens attachment — One that has an optical zoom between 12x and also 18x. There is a zoom duty on your phone, yet it’s a digital zoom that outcomes in a lower-quality picture. You’re already trying to take it a picture of a celestial occasion that’s really far away, so give your call the ideal chance possible. These lenses expense $20 come $40.
A solar filter sheet — This is critical for the moments before and also after totality, once any component of the sunlight is still visible. If friend don’t have actually one that these, partial-eclipse photos room not going come work. You have the right to buy a paper of the product that the solar eclipse glasses are made of and also hold that in prior of the camera.
Pro tip: practice this top top the moon a pair of times prior to the eclipse.
1. This is the most necessary rule: Don’t rigid at the sun! us all recognize not to do this, yet when one eclipse starts to take place it may be tempting to sneak some peaks without your special glasses. Even a couple of moments of staring will damages your eyes.
2. Clean her lenses v a soft cloth.
3. Attach the solar filter in former of the telephoto lens.
4. Affix the telephoto lens to the prior of the phone every the instructions that came v the lens.
5. Set the phone up v your tripod or beanbag so it’s pointed at the sun. (Remember that the sunlight is walk to relocate in the skies as the eclipse happens, so be prepared to change your phone, too.
6. The dark sky will trick her camera so that you just see a bright round of white light. Girlfriend will should outsmart your smartphone by adjusting the exposure.
Iphone: insanity the screen for a box to appear, then slide friend finger up or under to change exposure.
Android: find manual mode through the camera app and adjust from there.
7. Take her photos v the solar filter throughout the partial eclipse. As soon as totality happens, you can take the filter off to take it pictures since the moon will certainly be blocking out the sun. Us recommend snapping a pair of photos at this point, however don’t get caught up in your phone — this might be the just time you obtain to endure a complete eclipse.
See more: How To Remove Device From Netflix Account, How To Manage Devices On Netflix
8. Once the sunlight begins to reemerge, placed your solar filter ago on the camera if you want to proceed taking pictures. Or bag it and enjoy the remainder of the event without your phone.